Numbi was the gate which the first visitors to Kruger entered the Park, a year after it was opened to tourists in 1926. A total of three cars was recorded in 1927, each being charged an entrance fee of one pound.
At that time Pretoriuskop was the only overnight facility for tourists. Two years later a few more camp were built and it was possible to travel to Olifants River when the roads were established.
Numbi got its name from the Siswati word for small fruit of the Transvaal milkplum. The milkplum, which has a sweet taste and is high in Vitamin C, was used by the Voortrekkers to make a form of brandy, named Mampoer. In traditional African medicine, ground milkplum bark is used to treat rheumatism.
Crée: ; Dernière mise à jour: