eMakhazeni (Belfast) was named in June 1890 when President Kruger declared the farm Tweefontein, the property of R C O'Neil, as a township.
It was a condition that a portion of Tweefontein remain an urban area. 313 erven of 120x240 ft were reserved by the Government while the 575 that were left remained the property of the owner.
In that same year they began building the Dellagoe Bay railway which was completed as far as eMakhazeni (Belfast) in August 1894. A branch line was built shortly thereafter to exploit the extensive coalfields surrounding Belfast and Sammy Marks, who had all the coal mining rights parallel to the main railway line, started mining.
The need for a place to worship arose and the community started collecting funds which resulted in a temporary N. G. Church and school being founded in 1894.
In 1897 the office of the Justice of the Peace was established and the first person to fill this post was a certain Andreas Coetzee. He occupied this post till August 1900 when the British occupied the town.
After the Anglo Boer War in 1902 eMakhazeni (Belfast) was declared a Municipality and the first council was constituted.
The main railway to Mapumalange rises to 2025 meters at eMakhazeni (Belfast), making it the highest station on the line.
It is a centre for sheep, dairy farming, and timber.
Trout and bass can be caught in the local streams.
De notre galerie
Crée: ; Dernière mise à jour: