Hondeklipbaai Lighthouse is situated on the northern side of the Bay to warn passing ships along the West Coast, south of Port Nolloth of any imminent danger.
|Candlepower||2 000 C.D.|
|Character of Light||Group flashing, three every 15 seconds|
|Installation Date||15 February 1936|
|Range||11 sea miles|
|Structure||circular concrete tower painted white with a black painted top|
|Type of Light||Revolving Electric|
|Other features||The lighthouse is fully automatic. Mains supply with one diesel/alternator set|
The first light was installed in 1936 and like many of the more remote lighthouses did not look quite like a lighthouse is expected to. The first tower was an eight metre high steel lattice tower and was often described as a rickety lighthouse on stilts.
The former “rickety lighthouse” was replaced in 2006 with a slightly more traditional looking structure. This style white building that houses the light has been used in other areas such as Port Durnford and South sand Bluff and the design is believed to have come from that of army watch towers.
The Lighthouse is only accessible via a dirt road is a little off the beaten track, but if you visiting this beautiful seaside village of Hondeklip then the drive out to take a sunset photo is worth it.
There is no admission fee, viewing is permitted.
Crée: ; Dernière mise à jour: