Thoughts of opening a museum for the South African Armoured Corp arose in 1994 and by October 1995 it was officially approved by the Chief of the South African Army. Unfortunately no funds were granted for the museum, but a number of fund raising projects were launched and private businesses and arms manufacturers donated funds to assist with purchasing certain items. Some items were even donated by members of the Amoured Corps and the Museum was officially opened on the 13th September 1996.
The historical building housing the indoor exhibitions dates back from between 1902 and 1904 and stands on the historical grounds in Tempe. The building was declared a National Monument in 1995. Since its opening the Museum has developed substantially, accumulating vast quantities of various items. In 2001 “Lesakeng” (the coral for old horses) was opened as an addition to the Museum and is an ongoing process as funds become available. It currently houses numerous armoured tracked, wheeled and other vehicles.
Today the Museum displays a wide range of armoured military vehicles and artillery. It consists of an indoor and an outdoor area as well as a Reference Library.
There is a nominal admission fee, please contact the Museum directly to confirm prices.
Created: ; Last updated: