Trompsburg is a typical South African “dorpie”, a small farming town in the heart of the Free State Province. The small agricultural village lies just off the N1, almost exactly halfway between Johannesburg and Cape Town.
Due to its location, Trompsburg is an ideal stopover when travelling between Port Elizabeth. Travellers are greeted by warm and friendly locals, shopping is done in lovely little shops with architecture ranging from Victorian to modern and pubs are warm and cosy where interesting stories can be heard about the towns origin.and Cape Town or
Farmers here work primarily with cattle and sheep and Trompsburg is home to the second largest shearing barn in South Africa. Boesmansfontein farm has a collection of scale models of old-world firearms which can be examined at leisure and there is also an old hand-built Stone Wall in town that can extends for an impressive 11 kilometres that can be viewed. The town itself offers little else by way of “things to do” however, the surrounding areas offer a few attractions that will ensure your short stay will be worthwhile.
Trompsburg offers a few small B&B’s or Guesthouses and a lovely country lodge on the outskirts of town.
Places to Visit
Things to do and see, nearby
- Waterwiel Bakhuis, Trompsburg
- Gariep Dam Nature Reserve & Trails
- Transgariep Museum, Philippolis
- Adam Kok House, Philippolis
- Laurens van der Post Memorial Garden, Philippolis
- Tiger Canyon, Philippolis
- Murderer’s Graves, Fauresmith
- Fauresmith Street Train
- Pellissier House Museum, Bethulie
- Kuilfontein Farm Stall, Springfontein
- Historical Smithfield Cemetery
Trompsburg receives approximately 417 mm of rain annually with rainfall occurring mostly during the summer months.
Summer months, November to March will have average temperatures of between 18˚C and 29˚C.
Winter months, May to August will have average temperatures of between 6˚C and 16˚C.
In 1891 when the railway from the south reached this area Trompsburg was laid out on the farm Middelwater which belonged to Jan and Bastiaan Tromp and subsequently became a municipality in 1902.
Initially, before the branch railway was built from Koffiefontein via Jagersfontein, Trompsburg was known as Jagersfontein Road. Later it was named Hamilton after Sir Hamilton J. Goold-Adams, Governor of the Orange River Colony from 1902 to 1910.to
After some time, the name was changed to Trompsburg in honour of the owners of the farm.
Uit ons gallery
Geskep: ; Laas opgedateer: