Sheltered beneath a ridge of hills on the northern bank of the Gariep Dam, on the Orange River is the little olde-worlde town of Bethulie.
The town was originally a station of the London Missionary Society which, in 1833, handed it over to the French Missionary Society. They named it Bethulie, meaning "Chosen by God".
In 1862 this quiet, God fearing settlement became a village. The original mission buildings still stand, including the oldest European-built house in the Free State named Pellissier House, after the first french missionary, the Rev. Jean Pellissier and which now houses the museum.
Some of the historical sites in Bethulie are difficult to find, others are on private land needing permission to enter. For more information and guided tours contact :
Trudie Venter (Tourism Info Centre)
Uit ons gallery
Geskep: ; Laas opgedateer: