Oranjeville is a small resort town situated on the southern banks of the Wilge River, now part of the Free State., in the
The town is one of three on the flanks of the dam, the other two are Deneysville on the dam wall and the other Vaal Marina on the northern banks of the dam. The population is less than a meagre 500 of which the majority speaks Afrikaans.
Oranjeville offers activities for adventure seekers and outdoor and water sports enthusiasts. The town is considered an angling mecca for fishermen and hosts big national angling competitions, but there are loads of other water activities to take part in. With the Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve under and hour away, visitors can also enjoy and afternoon of hiking and biking.
If you are not a fisherman or lover of water sports however, the three towns all in close proximity of each other, offer arts & crafts shopping, coffee shops and waterside restaurants.
Oranjeville accommodation includes a few cosy Bed & Breakfasts and self-catering cottages available for an enjoyable weekend getaway.
Things to do and see
- Vaal Dam
- Dam Wall
- Boat Cruises
- Angling & Water Sports
- De Vry Distillery
- Hiking & Biking
- Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve
- Oranjeville NG Church
- Oranjeville Cemetary
Oranjeville receives approximately 659 mm of rain annually with most of its annual rainfall during summer.
Summer months, November to March will have average temperatures of between 15˚C and 27˚C.
Winter months, May to August will have average temperatures of between -1˚C and 22˚C.
Originally the area was established as a place where travellers could cross the Wilge River and as a halfway house for wagons travelling between Heilbron, Frankfort and Vereeniging. An 1889 map shows a transport route that passes through the Wilge river from Frankfort to the coal fields at what is now Vereeniging. In those days Vereeniging didn't exist, but the coal mines did.
The town itself first came into being in 1919 and the first property stands were sold in 1920. The town was initially referred to as Zoar and only changed in 1920 to Oranjeville in honour of the Dutch Prince of Oranje who had helped extensively with getting the people back on their feet after the Anglo-Boer War. The town was officially proclaimed in 1921.
Uit ons gallery
Geskep: ; Laas opgedateer: