Cape Town Stadium in Groenpunt, Kaapstad, Wes-Kaap
The Diva of Cape Town!
The Cape Town Stadium is located in Green Point on the Green Point Common in Cape Town and was inaugurated in January of 2010 for the World Cup Soccer Games. It belongs to the Metropolitan Municipality of Cape Town. It has been placed between Robben Island and Table Mountain. Ajax Cape Town Football Team is using the stadium as their home ground at present. The stadium can cater for many different types of sport such as rugby as well as music concerts and other major events.
- Banqueting Halls
- Conference venues
- Corporate hospitality suites
- Entry turnstiles - 115
- Lifts - 16
- Medical and Training facilities
- Toilets 500 and 360 urinals
Tours of the Cape Town Stadium are available with prior booking. The activities include:
- Access to the change rooms
- Browsing through the souvenir shop
- Information about the stadium’s construction and its features
- Questions and taking of photographs
- Visit to the field
Murray and Roberts and WBHO built the stadium in 33 months at a cost of R4.4 billion (equivalent in US$600 million) The Architects were GMP Architects of Germany and two companies from South African Louis Karol & Associates and Point Architects.
The façade is wrapped in woven fibreglass and coated with Teflon giving the stadium an effect of a rose coloured bowl floating on a base when it is lit up at night.
The Architects have named the stadium “The Diva of Cape Town” as it reflects the changing moods of the city in variable weather conditions.
The roof of the stadium is one of a kind worldwide with a basic structure resembling a bicycle wheel open in the middle. To raise the roof to its correct height the builders used 72 cables that linked the outer and inner rings of the circle and then tightened them very slowly.
The spectator covering is made of nine thousand 16 mm thick panels of glass to protect them from the strong wind and rain while letting the light in at the same time and weighs 4 700 tons. The PVS ceiling panels underneath help dull the noise from within the stadium.
The stadium has a seating capacity of 55 000 with a safety feature that allows the stadium to be evacuated in 15 minutes in an emergency but allowing the spectators to be closer to the game than a conventional stadium. The grass pitch is 290 x 265 x 48 m
Hi -Tech camera surveillance has been used that is monitored by police in the Venue Operations centre inside the stadium. A wide moat has been built around the pitch to discourage the invasions that are common in soccer games. A police station is also operational in the stadium to deal with hooliganism and petty crime.
The Department of Environmental Affairs &Tourism has declared the stadium to have a high standard of environmental protection.
- Water run-off from the roof and inner ring is pumped into the ponds on the Green Point Common
- The lighting is housed in the roof’s inner ring instead of massive outside masts, reduces the impact of light to the surrounding area
- The managing agents for the stadium will maintain the 85 hectares of Green Point Common sport precinct and urban park, from the Stadium revenue
- Tuesday to Saturday, 10h00, 12h00 and 14h00
- Closed : On event days
Please refer to their website
Uit ons gallery
Geskep: ; Laas opgedateer: