The Malmesbury Museum situated in the centre of the quaint town of Malmesbury, is housed in the old Jewish Synagogue, a historical attraction in itself.
This exceptional, Edwardian style building was built in 1911 for the Ohel Jacob Congregation and was designed by Max Goldman. At this time the community comprised of about 40 Jewish families of whom many owned general dealerships, thereby playing an important role in the economy of the town. By 1920, the community had doubled to approximately 80 families. As the children grew up, many moved to bigger towns and the Jewish community once again diminished and eventually disappeared. Max Goldman’s son bought the building and presented it to the community on condition no religious ceremonies were held there and today the building houses the Malmesbury Museum. An identical Synagogue was built in Piketburg for the growing Jewish community there.
It goes without saying then that the Museum has a very informative and interesting display on the history of the Malmesbury Jewish community of the town, but the Museum also exhibits the full history of the area with old photographs and items of the town and its people who lived here. The Museum is part of the Historic Route of Malmesbury and is well worth a visit to learn some interesting facts about this beautiful part of the Cape.
There is a nominal entrance fee charged, please contact the Museum directly to confirm all costs.
Created: ; Last updated: