The ‘Eye of Kuruman’, also known as the ‘Fountain of Christianity’, is a natural, inexhaustible, fountain that gushes from a seemingly barren dolomite rock and which delivers between 20-30 million litres of crystal clear water daily into a clear pool of water surrounded by gardens and palm trees.
The Eye was discovered by Samuel Daniel during the Truter Somerville expedition in 1801. This generous constant supply of water feeds the Kuruman River, two 7km irrigation canals and supplies Kuruman’s domestic water needs even during the worst droughts. Thus Kuruman became known as the ‘Oasis of the Kalahari’.
Seemingly The Eye is the biggest natural fountain in the Southern Hemisphere. In the early years the Tswana people christened this fountain Gasegonyane, which means ‘small water calabash with bubbling water’.
The spring is home to an endangered species of cichlid fish which are generously fed by the many daily visitors.
Created: ; Last updated: