University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN) (Howard College Campus) in University, Berea, KwaZulu-Natal
The Howard Campus is set in the Berea with majestic views of the Durban harbour.
Durban is a major South African port and very popular tourist attraction due to its beautiful beaches. Staff and students of this campus spend their free time at the game reserves and estuaries north of Durban at Maputaland and the sandy beaches. The university is set in lush green surrounds and is committed to conservation of fauna and flora.
Howard campus was formally the University of Natal until the merger in 2004
Howard College has 250 undergraduates and 50 graduates and are from diverse lands such as Zimbabwe, Kenya, Eritrea, Germany, Canada, and the USA.
- Geography & Environmental Disciplines
- Humanities & Social Sciences
- Management Studies
- Social Service
- Basketball, ballroom dancing
- Canoeing, cricket, golf, hockey, karate,
- Driving lessons
- Indoor sports complex boxing, chess, gymnastics
- Jogging areas
- Mountaineering, netball, rugby, soccer
- Old Mutual sports centre
- Surfing, underwater sport yachting
- Swimming pool
BMus: 4-year programme available with the following areas of specialisation:
- African music and dance
- Ba: 3-year programme in which students may choose to enrol for:
- Jazz studies
- Music education
- Music technology
- Musicology & Ethnomusicology
- Orchestral / performance
- Popular music studies
On Campus residences
These residences accommodate the students from Howard campus and the Medical school. All residences are protected by access control and have lounges, television rooms, intercom systems, public phone booths and parking space. Students are accommodated in single rooms.
- Albert Luthuli Hall- made up of the Cluster Residence and the 6 story Tower Residence and is located on the western end of Howard College campus and closer to the sports fields.
- Charles Smith Hall – 12 individual residences positioned close to the buildings, banks and also the Medical School.
- Postgraduate House - for post graduate students
- Scully House - for post graduate students
- St Hillier – mixed gender residence opposite Queensmead Mall in Umbilo and d few minutes’ walk from Medical School and on the bus route to Howard College. Consists of two and three bedroom flats but every student has his own room. The kitchen, lounge and bathroom are communal and so is the laundry facility.
- J V Smit Residence with 90 large single rooms with entertainment and study rooms and tennis courts.
It was opened in 1931 following a generous donation by Mr TB Davis, whose son, Howard Davis, was killed during the Battle of the Somme in World War I.
Since the Department of Music was instituted in 1971
The Town Council of Durban donated 50 acres of land in the Stella Bush for the purpose and, in 1931, Howard College was formally opened by the Earl of Clarendon, the Governor General of the Union of South Africa. All classes were soon transferred there from the Natal Technical College.
Created: ; Last updated: