Kamberg Nature Reserve, uKhahlamba Drakensberg Park, KwaZulu-Natal
Pretty as a picture picnics, down by the river!
Kamberg Nature Reserve is situated in the world heritage site, uKhahlamba Drakensberg Park and is south of Highmoor Nature Reserve. It is centrally situated within easy access of other attractions in the area such as the Lotheni Nature Reserve and the Giant’s Castle Nature Reserve. Kamberg Nature Reserve lies along the Mooi River just south of Highmoor Nature Reserve and is 48 km from Nottingham Road. The reserve consists of 6 300 hectares of beautiful vegetation makes this an ideal place for nature walks and hiking trails. There are also many rock shelters with many rock paintings for the visitor to enjoy.
A few of the wildlife that can be encountered are:
- Black Wildebeest
- Grey Rhebuck
- Mountain Reedbuck
- Red Hartebeest
- 3 charming picnic areas by the river and dam
- Fly fishing in the Eland and Ericson Dams
- Handicapped visitors can enjoy a self-guided trail
- Walks along the Big Mooi River and the Little Mooi River
- Game pass cave – found at the rock art centre and offers guided tours.
- Game Pass shelter with guided tours to rock art cave
- Kamberg Rock Art Centre - is where the first rock art was discovered and expose to the world in 1915 and the art is now a national monument protected by law.
- Trout Hatchery - open daily
- Waterfall shelter
- Curio shop has some supplies and a few essentials
- Rosetta 42 km away - is the closest location for main supplies
The accommodation in this reserve consists of self-contained and self-catering modern:
- 2 bed thatched chalets
- 5 bed Rustic cottage
- 6 bed rustic cottage
- Stillerrust Cottage – old fully fitted farmhouse accommodating 10 people and is 8km from main resort
- Communal lounge
- DSTV television
- Large communal freezer
- Units are fully serviced daily
All Week, 08h00 - 16h00Closed for Lunch, 13h00 - 14h00
Summer (1 October - 31 March) 05h00 – 19h00Winter (1 April - 30 September) 06h00 – 18h00
Kamberg Nature Reserve:
Tel: +27 33 267 7251
Rock Art Centre: +27 33 263 7251