Potato Capital of the Sandveld
Redelinghuys is a small town, about a two-hour drive from Cape Town, along the Cape West Coast. It lies snug between Picketberg and Velorenvlei, en route to Elands Bay and is known as the Potato capital of the Sandveld because of course, only the best potatoes are grown here.
The famous Velorenvlei (RAMSAR protected) stretches from Redelinghuys down into the Atlantic Ocean at Elands Bay. It is well-known for its prolific bird life and unspoilt nature. During the annual flower season (July-September) a multitude of flowers carpet the vicinity with glorious colours and scents. Daisies, chinckerenchees, belladonna lilies, arum and also Pink Afrikaner (red lily), also called the Sandveld Lily are to be seen.
Redelinghuys is an excellent base from which to explore this scenic countryside as well as the seaside - various hiking trails meander through the area!
The town, like many small villages, is dominated by a magnificent church in the main street with plenty more Victorian architecture to admire. The Dutch Reformed Church and Bell, the old Church, the Old Pastorie are all popular reasons to stop over in Redelinghuys. It’s a welcoming town, but not many people know about it – and there may be some that are happy for it to remain this way!
There are a few types of accommodation in the vicinity of Redelinghuys, including B&B’s Guesthouses and self-catering units.
Things to do and see
- Jakkalskloof 4X4 Trail
- Klein Tafelberg 4X4 Trail
- Castle Hiking Trail
- Elands Bay Cave
- Elands Bay Beach
- Verlorenvlei Heritage Settlement, nearby
Redelinghuys receives approximately 251 mm of rain annually with most of its’ rainfall during winter, June seeing the highest levels.
Summer months, November to March will have average temperatures of between 14˚C and 30˚C.
Winter months, May to August will have average temperatures of between 6˚C and 21˚C.
Redelinghuys was originally part of the farm Wittedrift. Sir George Napier handed it over on 31 December 1841 to a Mr Hendrik Koetzee, who died in 1848. A Mr&Nbsp;J Redelinghuys bought the farm and gave the church a piece of the farm as a gift.
Construction on the first church commenced in 1866 and in 1873 it was used for the first time. Military history was made at Vegkop along the vlei, where Boer lead Brit into a skirmish at the end of the 19th century. In 1921 a new church was built and was first used for the first time in 1927. The old church bell is still in use.
Geskep: ; Laas opgedateer: