Nelson Mandela Centre of Memory in Houghton Estate, Johannesburg, Gauteng
The Nelson Mandela Centre of Memory has been described as a public “interactive archive and venue for dialogue.” it was opened by Jacob Zuma on 18th November 2013 with local and foreign dignitaries including Graça Machel, the widow of the former President Nelson Mandela. It is also the home of the Nelson Mandela Foundation.
In the words of the current curator of the centre Mr Hatang, “the aim of the Centre of Memory is to ensure that Mandela’s values and ethos are shared…..”
The Centre has three main goals:
- The preservation and collection of resources that relate to the life of Nelson Mandela
- Facilitation of dialogue that addresses social issues
- The National Mandela International Day which is a celebration of the legacy left by Nelson Mandela; its aim being inspire people to change the world to a better place.
- A space where visitors can interact with the exhibition “Life and Times of Nelson Mandela” which consists of the form Nelson Mandela’s office.
- Reading room for reference and research work.
- Facilities for the hosting of discussions.
- A sophisticated technologically advanced storage and archive facility for the centre's collections that will include Mandela’s personal documents and papers, books and other personal items.
Featured at the centre is a few of the 15 temporary exhibitions that are developed with the help of the Mandela Foundation. These exhibitions are shown all over the world.
- “Nelson Mandela : Leader, Comrade, Negotiator, Prisoner, Statesman” which is the largest of this collection is at present exhibited at the Apartheid Museum.
- “Robert Sobukwe - Remember Africa”, can be found at Constitutional Hill in Johannesburg.
- The visitor can read old speeches, see photographs and watch video clips of Nelson Mandela but the centre is small and booking is essential.
- A replica of Mandela’s Robben Island cell.
- Mandela’s office.
The Centre was inaugurated in 2004 by Mr Mandela himself as the home of the Nelson Mandela Foundation. The new refurbished centre is the culmination of his dream and has opened up his office that he used after his term of office as President.
There is no charge but visitors will not be admitted without an appointment that can be made via email.
Visitors will be advised by via email.
Geskep: ; Laas opgedateer: