In 1910 a need arose for the farmers to have a town that was closer to them than Winburg and Ladybrand so they formed the small town of Excelsior. In deciding on which farm the town will be established, they chose the one called Excelsior (in Latin meaning higher up) due to it's location.
The first church were erected in the vicinity of where the Farmers Co-op is situated today, while a new sand stone building was built.
Excelsior in the late 1960's early 1970's was in the news for the Apartheid's legislation, a better understanding on what happened between white males and black females can be read in the book 'Madonna of Excelsior'.
In all small towns ghost stories were very popular and Piet Bok's house had rumours of ghosts and demons as the owner had shot himself there.
The secondary tar roads were built in 1980 to 1984, and this helped not travelling on the gravel roads to Bloemfontein via Verkeerdevlei. Many accidents and deaths on these roads occurred before the roads were updated.
Water to the town was supplied via boreholes, filled with good levels of fluoride and stored in sandstone reservoirs up at the "neck", the road to Winburg. Children who consumed this water all had good teeth.
Today a weather station is based at this small town, and very accurate reading helps farmers plan the crops better.
Geskep: ; Laas opgedateer: