- eNtokozweni (MP)
eNtokozweni (Machadodorp) was named after a Portuguese surveyor and Governor of Mozambique, Joachim Machado, who established the route of the railway line from Maputo (formerly Lorenzo Marques) to Pretoria. The town developed with a railway station opened on 10th July 1894.
The town was the seat of the Republican government for a few months in 1900 after the evacuation of Pretoria during the Anglo-Boer War. Its brief moment of glory ended when it was shelled by the British.
A radioactive spring reputed to have powerful healing qualities surfaces at eNtokozweni (Machadodorp) and baths have been built around it.
A bronze plaque marks the house where President Kruger stayed.
Trout are abundant in the Elands River running through the town.
Machadodorp was officially renamed eNtokozweni - meaning 'Place of Happiness', on 16 October 2009.
Uit ons gallery
Geskep: ; Laas opgedateer: