Gold Reef City (Gold Mine) Theme Park in Ormonde 99-Ir, Johannesburg South, Gauteng
The Gold Reef City theme park is built on the original Crown Mine’s # 14 Shaft that was built and mined in the 1800’s. It is situated in the South of Johannesburg 8 kilometres from the city centre with very easy access from the M1 motorway and walking distance from Southdale Shopping Centre
It is ranked in the Top 10 most popular places visited by tourists due to the many attractions that it has to offer the discerning visitor. The staff and tour guides at the park all wear period costumes which add to the atmosphere. The theme park has a Silver Heritage certification.
Additional Facilities at Gold Reef City
- The Apartheid Museum
- A spectacular world class Victorian Hotel
- Gold Reef City Casino
- Two additional hotels with high quality accommodation
- An authentic mine shaft accessible to the public
- Tours down a mine shaft that goes down to the first level. The bottom of the mine is below sea level.
- Gold pouring, 12.5 kilos of gold bearing ore is poured into bars.
- Helicopter rides.
- Midway games.
Victorian Fun Fair
This is for daredevils with over 30 world class rides (but still in keeping with the period theme) and includes:
- Golden loop, swinging coco pan
- Anaconda roller coaster, river rapids and 55m Giant ferris wheel
- A UFO that goes at 50 km an hour for the true dare devils.
- Pirates Cove
- Kiddies Fun Fair
- Indoor play area
- Science exploratory
- Gold panning
- Mini Farm well stocked with farm animals
- Fun train and Magical DragonLand for the little ones
- Amphitheatre , consult website for show times.
- Shows, Clowns, Tribal Dancing. Magicians, Can Can girls, Minstrels, and Gumboot Dancing
- Turtle Creek Putt Putt
- 4D Theatre features two movies at a time and has 3D effects while chairs move in tune to the film. The seats also let off various scents to match what the movie is showing.
Exhibits and Museums
- Extensive geological exhibit
- Train Museum - Class 19D steam locomotive on display
- Old mine houses decorated with original antiques, artefacts, period clothing and Victorian fittings and furnishings.
- Crush Museum
- Class 19D steam locomotive on display
- Bird shows
- Taverns, Inns, hostelries and music halls
- Restaurants of every kind for all tastes
Transport in Gold Reef City
- There is a train to get around the park if walking is a problem
- Horse drawn carts are available as well
Shops and Services
- Vast variety of shops and African Arts and crafts.
- Gift shops and pottery
- Home made treats, home industries
- Winder Home for conferences
- Wedding Chapel
- Garden Chapel for Christenings and other services
- Birthday club area
- Street parties which can cater for 100 to 10 000 people
Physically Disabled visitors in wheel chairs are welcome
People who fall under this category may not take part in the thrill rides as their safety cannot be guaranteed but they get to go into the park for free and there is so much they can see.
History of the Gold Mine
This mine was part of the gold rush in Johannesburg in the 1800’s. It was, at one stage the record holder for the mine producing the most gold and in 1916 held the record for the deepest gold mine in the world.
- Monday to Sundays, 09h30-17h00
- Closed, Mondays & Tuesdays (out of season)
Please consult website
Uit ons gallery
Geskep: ; Laas opgedateer: