Lady Loch Steel Bridge in Wellington, Western Cape
First all steel bridge in South Africa
In 1853 a wooden bridge was constructed in Wellington to gain access across the Berg River between Cape Town and Paarl. It was named “Lady Loch” after the wife of the Governor of the Cape Colony and High Commissioner of South Africa, Sir Henry Loch. In the same year the Bain’s Kloof Pass was also opened.
In 1910 this wooden bridge was replaced with the first all steel iron bridge in South Africa which is still in use today. The original wooden pillars have been stored at the Wellington Museum.
De notre galerie
Crée: ; Dernière mise à jour: