- Northern Cape
- Victoria West
Victoria West is a sun-baked little oasis in the thirstland, a meandering street of commercial buildings, many built in the last century when fortune-seekers streamed through on their way to the diamond fields.
The town has changed little since its beginning in 1843. When diamonds were discovered in Hopetown in 1886 a highway cutting at right angles across the main street was made to the north. Hotels, stores and a newspaper were founded. The railway missed the town by 12 km. Victoria West had to be satisfied with a siding, incogruously named Victoria West Road, and a bumpy gravel track to the town.
At a nature reserve outside the town one can view springbok, eland, black wildebeest, blesbok, gemsbok and other game.
On a nearby farm is a considerable private collection of old cars, including steamers and one of Adolf Hitler's bullet-proof vehicles.
Crée: ; Dernière mise à jour: