Rhodes Memorial in Table Mountain National Park, Western Cape
An Impressive Work of Art from Granite and Bronze
Cecil John Rhodes (1853-1902)
The Rhodes Memorial is an impressive work of art of granite and bronze, situated at the base of Devils Peak, fairly close to the University of Cape Town. It was designed by Herbert Baker and completed in 1912 and now falls under San Parks as part of the Table Mountain National Park. The memorial was erected in honour of Cecil John Rhodes, a South African politician born in England, who played an important role in the development of South Africa.
Rhodes left the following tracts of land to the State:
- Where the present University of Cape Town upper campus stands
- Where the Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden stands
This was Cecil Rhodes favourite place in Cape Town, on the lower slopes of Devils Peak and his own bench that he sat on in this place is still there below the memorial. The bench faces stunning views of Cape Town
Sir Herbert Baker was the architect who designed the memorial and he modeled it after the Greek temple at Segesta in Sicily, Italy but has elopements of the Pergamum. The memorial consists of:
- Cape granite from Table Mountain for the steppes and memorial pillars
- Semi-circular Terrace
- Expansive Staircase of 49 stops ( one for each year of Rhodes life)
- 8 Bronze lions by John Macallan Swan, flank the steps of the memorial
- Pillars forming a ”U-shaped monument
- Bronze Bust of Cecil Rhodes
At the bottom of the steps of the memorial is a bronze statue of a horse by George Frederic Watts who named the statue Physical Energy.
To the spirit and life work of Cecil John Rhodes who loved and served South Africa.
The immense and brooding spirit still Shall quicken and control. Living he was the land, and dead, His soul shall be her soul!
The memorial is part of the Table Mountain National Park and offers the following:
- Famous Tea Room
- View point
- Picnic Spot
- Starting point of the walks and hikes in Devils Peak
- Forest of Silver trees
- Game enclosure with Eland, Zebra and Wildebeest
- Annual Easter sunrise service
Open: Sunrise to Sunset
De notre galerie
Crée: ; Dernière mise à jour: