- Northern Cape
Steinkopf, about 50 km north of Springbok, is a true one-horse town in the arid savannah of Namaqualand.
At Steinkopf, visitors will enter the northernmost wild flower area of Namaqualand. The district is noted for the number of matjieshuise, traditional dome-shaped reed huts made by the Nama people. The town has a rich history reflected both in the varied cultures of the town's inhabitants as well as in its old buildings such as the Rhenish Mission Station or the Old Klipfontein Hotel.
Originally called Kookfontein, after a perennial spring that still flows today, Steinkopf today serves a large communal stock farming area and many inhabitants work on the outlying mines in Namaqualand. However, for those who visit this small town there are still several things to see other than the wild flowers of Namaqualand.
Take a walk through the dusty streets past coffee shops, schools and churches, exploring the historically and culturally diverse town of Steinkopf at your leisure or visit the traditional communal farm grounds of the Van Wyk family and hear Steinkopf's stories from the South African Anglo-Boer War.
Steinkopf offers accommodation facilities such as B&B’s, Guest houses and self-catering.
Things to do and see
- Immanuel Succulent Nursery
- Klipfontein Graves
- Kinderlé Grave Site
- Annenous Station & Nonahams
- Kookfontein Eye
- Rhenish Mission Church
- Steinkopf Art Gallery
- Old Klipfontein Hotel Ruins
Steinkopf receives approximately 140 mm of rain annually, virtually no rainfall, with almost all rainfall occurring during the Winter months.
Summer months, November to March will have average temperatures of between 15˚C and 31˚C.
Winter months, May to August will have average temperatures of between 4˚C and 20˚C.
There are daily flights into Upington Airport approximately 429 Km away via the N14 and into Cape Town International Airport approximately 610 km via the N7. Car rental companies are available for easy access around the area.
The original Nama settlement was situated at Bijzondermeid 5 km south of present day Steinkopf. In 1818 a Rhenish Mission Station was established and in 1821 the mission was moved to current Steinkopf (then known as Kookfontein) due to a perennial spring that is still flowing today. Rev. Brecher later renamed the town Steinkopf in honour of the German minister in London.
De notre galerie
Crée: ; Dernière mise à jour: