- Western Cape
Just 140 kms, give or take, east ofthe town lies on a loop of the Sonderend River, the river from which it takes its name, and is surrounded by various farms. It is as peaceful as it is beautiful and offers many diverse outdoor activities for adventure seekers.
There is always a spot to fish or take a rowboat up the endless river! For thrill seekers, Riviersonderend has an exhilarating Kloofing Trail, in the nearby Hottentots Holland Nature Reserve, which is approximately 4 km hiking and 6 km kloofing. The River and its surrounds is also home to almost 65 different species of birds as well as sightings of the rare Blue Crane in the fields surrounding the town.
Rviersonderend boasts accommodation which includes self-catering units, B&B’s Guesthouses and caravanning and camping facilities.
Things to do and see
- Riviersonderend Photo Museum
- Riviersonderend Conservation Area
- Kleinbergie Hiking Trail (Historical Hike)
- Riviersonderend Kloofing Trail
- Riviersonderend Golf Course
- Janeza Private Cellars, 23 km
- Langverwagt Wine Estate 23 km
Riviersonderend receives approximately 465 mm of rain annually with the majority of its’ rainfall occurring during the winter months.
Summer months, November to March will have average temperatures of between 15˚C and 29˚C.
Winter months, May to August will have average temperatures of between 5˚C and 20˚C.
To the first explorers, the river flowing eastwards from its source in the Hottentots-Holland Mountains seemed to meander on 'without end' - Willem ten Rhyne, who visited the cape in 1673, referred to the river, as the "sine fine flumen" ("river without end").
In 1707 Jan Hatogh, a horticulturist employed by the Dutch East India Company, referred to the river as the "Kanna-kan-kann". This word was possibly derived from the Hessequa word "Kamma-kan Kamma" which, roughly translated, means "water, endless water". The Hessequa were a local tribe of herdsmen.
Thus, the origin of the name is believed to have been derived from the description of the river.
The town was established in 1923 when Miss Edith McIntyre sold the farm Tierhoek for £6000 to the church council of the local Dutch reformed Church when the congregation was established. It the early days the town was known as “Rivier Zonder End”.
De notre galerie
Crée: ; Dernière mise à jour: