Randfontein lies to the west of Johannesburg, approximately 45 km from the city centre, in what is commonly referred to as the West Rand.
Many things have changed since the towns' early days and Randfontein now serves as a residential and an industrial area for many who work and live in the area. Industries in Randfontein include engineering, food processing and textile manufacturing. It is also home to the largest stamp mill in the world, used in early paper making for preparing the pulp.
While mining does still dominate this part of the world, nowadays no one will need to travel far to reach the nearest shopping centre, as much development has taken place and Randfontein almost now seems more of a suburb of the city than a town on the outskirts.
Randfontein offers outdoor activities and family entertainment as well as all types of accommodation including small lodges among farms and small holdings on the outskirts of town where the Magaliesberg and Witwatersberg mountains form an attractive backdrop.
Things to do and see
- WWII Memorial
- Con Joubert Bird Sanctuary
- Fat Olive Organic Craft Market
- Oori Nature Reserve
- Abe Bailey Nature Reserve
- Randfontein Golf Course
Randfontein receives approximately 742 mm of rain annually with the majority falling during the Summer months.
Summer months, November to March will have average temperatures of between 13˚C and 28˚C.
Winter months, May to August will have average temperatures of between 1˚C and 20˚C.
There are daily flights into Lanseria International Airport, approximately 44 km away via the R28 and the N14 as well as into O R Tambo International Airport approximately 75 km away via the N12. Car Hire facilities are available at the airport.
The mining financier J B Robinson bought the farm Randfontein (fountain of the ridge) during the scramble for properties immediately after the 1886 discovery of gold on the Witwatersrand.
The purchase paid off handsomely and in 1889 he floated the Randfontein Estates Gold Mining Company.
The town of Randfontein was created in 1890 to serve the mine. Originally the town was administered as part of Krugersdorp but it became a municipality in 1929.
De notre galerie
Crée: ; Dernière mise à jour: