The War Memorial is situated in Pilgrim’s Rest in Mpumalanga, South Africa.
The Memorial was designed by Mr. W. Dyke Poynter and was constructed by Mr. G. Beretta, a local building contractor. Building began in September 1921 and was completed in May 1922. It was erected in commemoration of the men from Pilgrim’s Rest and the surrounding area who fought and lost their lives during both the First World War (1914 – 1919) and the Second World War (1939 – 1945).
The Oak Tree, alongside the Memorial, was planted as an acorn from the Deville Wood in 1965. The battle of Deville Wood was one of the bloodiest fought during 1916. The 1st South African Infantry Brigade, consisting of four regiments, was almost annihilated between 15 and 21 July 1916. Of the 3500 South African Officers, there were approximately 2500 casualties, of which 700 were killed and 200 bodies were never found.
The Memorial can be found across from the Printing Museum in Main Street.
No admission fee is charged.
Rainfall occurs mainly in the mid-summer months, with December and January seeing the highest levels.
Summer months, November to March will have average temperatures of between 14˚C and 24˚C.
Winter months, May to August will have average temperatures of between 4˚C and 19˚C.
There are daily flights from Johannesburg, Durban and Cape Town into the Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport in Mombela (Nelspruit). Car rental companies are available for easy access to the surrounding areas with Pilgrim’s Rest being just over an hour away along the R537. Road trips from Johannesburg to Pilgrim’s Rest via the N12 will take about 4 hours.
Crée: ; Dernière mise à jour: