The tiny village of Balfour, at the foot of the Katberg in the Eastern Cape and was established as a station of the Glasgow Missionary Society in 1828 by John Ross and McDiarmid. It was named after Robert Balfour, the first Secretary of this society.

Now largely a black community, the graves of many Afrikaners are to be found on the grounds of and across the road from the Dutch Reformed Church.