- North West
Rail Stop Town
Makwasie is a centre for maize, groundnuts, sorghum and milk production. There is an interesting Ground Nuts Factory tour that visitors can take if planning a day trip. Other activities in the area include hiking and biking – the Wolwespruit Dam Nature Reserve is a popular local attraction close to Wolmaransstad for just these activities and also offers excellent fishing and bird watching opportunities.
The town is not really more than a drive-through location, however it claims four distinctions in Gauteng:
- the first Christian Mission Station north of the Vaal River
- the first white birth in July 1823
- the first printed matter; a Tswana spelling book and religious tracts
- the oldest town hall, built in 1910.
Makwassie supports game farms and hunting lodges in the area. Other forms of accommodation near by will include one or two self-catering options in the neighbouring towns.
Things to do and see
- Wesleyan Mission Station
- Makwassie Town Hall
- Hiking & Mountain Biking Trails
- Ground Nut Shelling Factory
Makwassie receives approximately 590 mm of rain annually with most of its annual rainfall during summer.
Summer months, November to March will have average temperatures of between 14˚C and 30˚C.
Winter months, May to August will have average temperatures of between 0˚C and 22˚C.
There are daily flights into Lanseria Airport, approximately 289 Km’s away via the N14, O R Tambo Airport approximately 315 km’s away via the R59 and into Kimberley Airport approximately 232 km’s away via the N12. Car hire facilities are available at the Airport.
This small railway station of 1905 and farming centre takes its name from the Makwasi River (Makwassiespruit) which flows nearby. The word makwassie is a corruption of the San word for an aromatic wild spearmint which grows on the banks of the river on stream upon which Makwassie was founded. The area also has a rich alluvial diamond digging heritage and nearby Wolmaransstad is an International diamond exchange town.
In 1822 the town was established as a mission station by Samuel Broadbent and Thomas Hodgson of the Wesleyan Missionary Society and the town was laid out in 1907 and proclaimed in 1910. At first it was spelt Maquassi, it was standardized as Makwassie in 1937.
Crée: ; Dernière mise à jour: