- North West
Leeudoringstad was named after the Lion thorn tree that once grew in abundance near the farm Rietkuil, on which the village was established in 1920.
In 1932 a train loaded with 1200 tons of dynamite from the De Beers factory at Somerset West to the Witwatersrand exploded in the centre of the town and flattened it. Luckily only 5 people were killed. Information and photographs of this tragedy can be viewed in the Leeudoringstad Museum.
Today Leeudoringstad is the agricultural centre for this area and hosts the headquarters of Suidwes Landbou, one of the largest agricultural companies in South Africa.
The scenic Wolwespruit Dam Nature Reserve is located on the outskirts of the town
Crée: ; Dernière mise à jour: