- KwaDukuza (Stanger)
KwaDuza, formally known as Stanger, has become the centre of the sugar cane industry along the Northern Coast of KwaZulu-Natal. It lies just inland from Blythedale and only an hour outside of Durban.
KwaDuza was home toZulu during the last years of his life and today it epitomises the historical background of the area. The town forms part of not only the Zulu Heritage Route, but the proposed Sugar Route as well. Visitors can arrange tours to nearby Shaka sites as well as the large sugar and paper mills on the edge of town.
The town is also one of the many in the area that has a distinctly eastern flavour brought here by the first Indian immigrants who came to work on the sugar cane fields. Today there is a strong Indian heritage with mosques, markets and temples adding a vibrancy to the town.
KwaDukuza offers a wide range of attractions from beaches to the many historical and cultural sites as well as other outdoor activities. The town also lies close to the popular Umhlanga and Ballito areas which offer top-class entertainment facilities, including restaurants and shopping malls.
Accommodation in KwaDuzu includes hotels, self-catering apartments, B&B’s, Guesthouses as well as caravan and camping parks.
Things to do and see
- Luthuli Museum
- Dukuza Museum
- King Shaka Memorial
- Sappi Tranquility Bird Hide
- Harold Johnson Nature Reserve
- Zinkwazi Beach
- Blythedale Beach
- Zulu Roots Eco Trail
- Sugar Rush Market
- Princes Grant Golf Course
KwaDukuza receives approximately 991 mm of rain annually with rainfall falling throughout the year.
Summer months, November to March will have average temperatures of between 19˚C and 29˚C.
Winter months, May to August will have average temperatures of between 11˚C and 24˚C.
The town started life as the capital of the Zulu nation in 1820 under the then rule of the famous King Shaka. He named it KwaDukuza, meaning “the place of the lost person”, because of the capital's complex labyrinth of huts. It was here, in a small kraal attached to the capital that Shaka was assassinated by two of his half brothers, Dingane and Mhlangane, on 22 September 1828, and his body buried in a hole.
The capital was abandoned and burnt to the ground in 1828.
The town of Stanger was built in 1873 for European settlers and named after William Stanger, the Surveyor General of Natal.
Stanger was renamed KwaDukuza again on March 3, 2006.
Crée: ; Dernière mise à jour: