University of Cape Town (UCT) (Hiddingh Campus) in Cape Town City Centre, Cape Town, Western Cape
The Hiddingh campus is the home of the Micaela’s School of Fine Arts of UCT and houses the Michaelis Galleries.
It is situated next to the historic Company’s Garden, between Orange Street and the upper end of the Avenue in the Gardens. Hiddingh is the nucleus of the original historical campus of UCT formally known as the South African college. The school is made up of magnificent heritage buildings appropriately designed with lots of light and space for the practice of Fine Arts.
The highlight of the South African arts calendar is the annual end-of-the-year exhibition of the work of fourth-year students. The campus offers studies in Photography and New Media, Printmedia, Painting and Sculpture.
The Michaelis Galleries
The galleries consists of 200 square meters of modern gallery space that hosts a range of temporary exhibitions during the year. They cater for experimental and emerging artists’ and curators’ as well as well-known artists.
Although situated on a university campus, the galleries are open to visitors from the general public. Regular open lectures are presented as well as walkabouts and workshops.
The campus consists of 13 buildings :
- Arena theatre
- Egyptian house
- Film & Media
- Graphic Design
- Hiddingh Hall
- Little Theatre
- Little Theatre Workshop
- Centre for Curating the Archive
- Katrine Harris Print Cabinet
- Iziko Bertram House Museum
- Michaelis Gallery
- Hiddingh Hall Library
- Department of Drama
- The main university campus at Rondebosch is linked to Hiddingh campus with a shuttle service
- Workshops and Labs
- Computer laboratories and workshops that are well equipped
- Specialised technical staff instructs students in the use of equipment and provide help with projects
- Bronze casting and ceramic kilns
- Metal & wood workshops
- Etching &lithography
- Relief & screen-printing workshops
- Photographic studios
- Darkrooms & digital processing laboratories
- Video editing suites
- iMac based computer labs
- New digital fabrication workshop with a computer aided laser cutter and router.
- Wi-fi internet connectivity is available access across campus.
- Bongi Bengu
- Gavin Jantjes
- Husain Essop
- Jane Alexander
- Marlene Dumas
- Mikhael Subotzky
1839 – Building o the Egyptian building, the oldest building in a university and is a national monument.
1920 – Sir Max Michaelis donated the chair of
1925 – Michaelis School of Fine art was founded
The Egyptian Building dates from 1839 and is the oldest building in South Africa built for tertiary education. It is a national monument.
Crée: ; Dernière mise à jour: