The End of the Line
Barberton is rich in history and visitors to this quaint town can take a slow stroll along the Heritage Walk which begins at the Barberton Local Museum and ends at the “must see” lovely old Barberton Steam Locomotive.
This Locomotive was in service in 1899 on the railway line between Barberton and Kaapmuiden. The railway line was opened was opened on 1 April 1896 and other similar locomotives were used along the route. This specific Steam Locomotive, number 536, a 4-6-0 locomotive SAR Class 6B engine was built by Nielsen, Reid and Co. in 1898 for the Cape Government Railways.
On the 13th May 1971, this locomotive was transferred on its own steam on loose sections of rail from the Barberton Railway Station to its current site at the entrance to the Barberton Caravan Park in General Street. It was officially handed over to the Barberton City Council by the Hon. H.E. Martins, the then Deputy of Transport, on the 30th June 1972.
Free viewing at all times. Please contact the Barberton Local Museum directly should you wish to take the full Heritage Walk as a nominal cost is involved for entrance into the various Museums.
Crée: ; Dernière mise à jour: