The Stellenbosch Village Museum is a cultural history museum found in the centre of Stellenbosch , just off the historic Dorp Street. The scenic town has many activities and attractions to suit all tastes, but a must do experience is to spend a day visiting the many historical buildings and museums. The Village Museum or the Dorp Street Walk is the place to start
The Village Museum forms part of the Stellenbosch Museum along with the Toy and Miniature Museum and the V.O.C. Kruithuis Museum and it is situated just a short distance down the street from the Stellenbosch Museum Head Office Building, also known as Erfurthuis. Erfturhuis is home to the Administrative Offices, Reference Library and has Conference and Catering facilities on site.
The Village Museum Complex has four houses of historical interest to visit, namely, Schreuderhuis, Blettermanhuis, Grosvenor House and the OM Bergghuis. Each beautifully restored home depicts a different architectural development period in the history of Stellenbosch. The interiors and gardens have been furnished and decorated to show a particular style from their time of construction.
Schreuderhuis is the oldest restored and documented house in South Africa. It is a depiction of typical Stellenbosch home and garden from the period 1680 to 1720. It was built in 1709 and survived the firs great fire in the town. Blettermanhuis was built by Hendrik Lodewyk Bletterman in 1789 and illustrates a wealthy home from the period 1750 to 1790. The house was built in a typical 18th Century design with 6 gables and an H-shaped floor plan.
Grosvenor House is an outstanding example of a double-story home from the period 1800 to 1830. It was originally built by Christian Neethling in 1782 and was added to by later owners until its present appearance. Grosvenor House was the building in which the Stellenbosch Museum was housed at the time of its proclamation. The fourth and last house originally had a thatched roof with gables similar to Blettermanhuis. The house was altered during the 19th Century and today is a typical mid-nineteenth century home with furnishings and wall-paper included from the period 1850 to 1870. O.M. Bergh lived in the house with his family between 1836 and 1877.
Scholars and Student R5
Prices subject to change, please contact the Gallery directly to confirm admission fee
Suitable for the disabled, wheelchairs available at Reception
Created: ; Last updated: