- Western Cape
Potato Capital of the Sandveld
Redelinghuys is an almost forgotten village located on the Verlorevlei River, about 160 kilometres (100 mi) north of Cape Town between Piketberg and Elands Bay. The town is of predominantly Victorian architecture. It is served by a police station, a public library, a satellite health clinic, and two primary schools.
Redelinghuys is surrounded by a rocky hillside and patches of blue gum trees. The town is known as the Potato Capital of the Sandveld, as only the best potatoes are grown here. It is also an area where rooibos grows in its natural state and where rooibos tea is freely available.
During the annual flower season (July-September) a multitude of flowers carpet the vicinity with glorious colours and scents. Various hiking trails lead through some spectacular scenery with ancient rock formations and nature lovers will derive an inner peace. Resettling of wildlife is receiving attention and can be viewed at specific locations.
Redelinghuys was originally part of the farm Wittedrift. Sir George Napier handed it over on 31 December 1841 to a Mr. Hendrik Koetzee, who died in 1848. A Mr. J.N.L. Redelinghuys bought the farm and gave the church a piece of the farm as a gift. Construction on the first church commenced in 1866 and in 1873 it was used for the first time. Military history was made at Vegkop along the vlei, where Boer lead Brit into a skirmish at the end of the 19th century. In 1921 a new church was built and was first used for the first time in 1927. The old church bell is still in use.
Military history was made at Vegkop along the vlei, where the Boers lead the Brits into a skirmish at the end of the 19th Century.
Created: ; Last updated: