University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN) (Pietermaritzburg Campus) in Scottsville, Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal
The Pietermaritzburg campus of the University of KwaZulu-Natal is situated in the Midlands of KwaZulu-Natal in close proximity to several nature reserves and parks. The distance from this campus to Durban is one hour’s’ drive and to Drakensberg Park it is two hours’ drive. The city was built in the Victoria and Edwardian age and this can be seen in the architecture.
The University of Natal was started here and so was the forerunner Natal University college which was opened in 1910 with 57 students. The centre around which the university revolves is the building called Old Main Building.
- Social Sciences including Theology and Visual Art)
- Management Studies & Law.
- Management Studies
This campus accommodates 1 640 students in four main halls. A student committee safeguards the smooth running of the residence’s studens’ life
- Petrie Hall of Residence- cluster of residences first and second-year female students.
- Eleanor Russell Hall
- University Hall and Lodge - close to all amenities
- William O’Brien Hall of Residence -for men only
- Malherbe Residence (men and women)
- The Malherbe Flats – for postgraduate students are called Brucian House, and Robleig House.
- Denison Hall of Residence - for men and women can be found in a quiet park like environment on the old golf course. It has its own kitchen and clubhouse with a large lounge and the Denison Pub. This residence has its own snooker table. table tennis, tv and a gym.
- Athletics, aerobics, basketball
- Ballroom dancing, canoeing, cricket
- Golf, hockey, karate, rowing
- Mountaineering, netball, rugby, soccer
- Tennis, squash, rowing and volleyball
- Swimming pool and jogging area.
1910: This campus opened its doors to 57 students
1912: Old Main building was built
1931: University college as it was called then expanded to include a campus in Durban.
2004: The University of Natal was merged with the University of Durban-Westville to create an all new legal entity called the University of KwaZulu-Natal.
- John Hlophe
- Lev David
- Mamphela Ramphele
- Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma
- Shaun Pollock
- Steve Biko
Created: ; Last updated: