Morgenzon is a small farming town situated halfway between Ermelo and Standerton. The name means “morning sun” in Dutch and a few locals tell the tale that no name had been agreed upon on the eve of the town’s official establishment and as the morning sun rose over the horizon and time was running out it was decided that the town would be named after the rising sun and as a symbol of new beginnings.
As its’ name suggests, Morgenzon offers its visitors beautiful sunrises without interference of city living and developments, making it the place to visit if you are looking for peace and quiet and a chance to unwind from city life. The town lies along the banks of the Osspruit, or Ox River, and there are plenty opportunities to fish for carp and barbel in nearby dams.
There is little else to do here beside admire the natural beauty of the countryside, enjoy nature walks and explore the interesting architecture of the town. The Marnico Hotel remains a landmark and also includes a pub, restaurant and gift shop. Another landmark worth visiting is the towns NGK Church, designed by Architect Gerard Moerdyk, who had studied architecture in England, France and Italy and who also designed the Voortrekker Monument in Pretoria.
Morgenzon has a selection of accommodation in and around the town from B&B’s and guest houses to the local Hotel.
Things to do and see
- Fishing & water activities
- Hiking & MTB Trails
- Blouko Anglo-Boer War Fort Ruins
- Marnico Hotel & Restaurant
- Morgenzon NGK Church
- Nomoya Masilela Museum, Bethal 35 km
- Graceland Casino, Secunda 50 km
Morgenzon receives approximately 701 mm of rain annually with most rainfall occurring during Summer.
Summer months, November to March will have average temperatures of between 12˚C and 27˚C.
Winter months, May to August will have average temperatures of between 0˚C and 22˚C.
Morgenzon was first established around the Marcino Hotel in 1912. The Hotel was built on a wagon stopover between Ermelo and Standerton.
The Morgenzon Farm, the land on which the town was laid out, was donated by De Jager.
Locals often call the town 'Sivukile' or 'we stand up', which may have something to do with the historical voyage of Mzilikazi and his band of men from Zululand, in 1825, to a village not far from where Morgenzon is today.
Created: ; Last updated: