After the discovery of tin on the Waterberg by a prospector named Adolph Erasmus, miners streamed into the district and Mookgophong (Naboomspruit) was established in 1910.
The start of the present town were the canteens and trading stores which sprang up on the banks of the Naboomspruit. Later platinum was also discovered.
The streets and gardens are adorned with many flowering trees and creepers growing on the banks of a nearby stream and the town was named after the profusion of euphorbia trees 'naboom'.
Naboomspruit is also known by the indigenous name 'Mookgophong', and was renamed Mookgophong on 24 November 2006.
Several hot springs which surface around the Waterberg have abeen developed as health resorts.
The Nylsvley Bird Sanctuary is nearby and there are many beauty spots in the area.
The department of Arts and Culture published the name change of Naboomspruit to Mookgophong in their government notice No. 1085 of Gazette No. 29331 on the 3rd of November 2006.
Created: ; Last updated: