- North West
Makwassie claims three distinctions in Gauteng history - the first white birth, in July 1823 - the first printed matter, a Tswana spelling book and religious tracts - and the oldest town hall, built in 1910.
This small railway station of 1905 and farming centre takes its name from the Makwasi River (Makwassiespruit) which flows nearby. The word makwassie is a corruption of the San word for an aromatic wild spearmint.
In 1822 the town was established as a mission station by Samuel Broadbent and Thomas Hodgson of the Wesleyan Missionary Society and the town was laid out in 1907.
Makwasi is a centre for maize, groundnuts, sorghum and milk production.
Created: ; Last updated: