- Free State
Ladybrand was established in 1867 as one of the towns of the so-called Conquered Territories after the last war with the Sotho. It was named in honour of Lady Catharina Brand, mother of President Johannes Brand of the then Orange Free State.
The situation of Ladybrand is spectacular: the Platberg ('flat mountain') sandstone ridge shelters a basin close to the valley of the Caledon River and the mountains of Lesotho. Man settled in this basin in ancient times and it is rich in Stone Age implements and fossils.
The Sandstone cliffs contain caves and rock shelters renowned for their bushmen rock art. Pre-historians, among them Abbe Breuil, have done much research in this area and the rock paintings have been reproduced in several books. The caves at Rose Cottage, Modderpoort and Tandjiesberg are particularly noted for rock paintings.
Ladybrand is a trading and agricultural centre and a gateway to Lesotho.
Created: ; Last updated: