The principal gateway between South Africa and Mocambique is the gorge taking the Komati River through the Lebombo Mountains. The border runs along the summit ridge of this Bush-covered range.
The town of Komatipoort became the depot and construction camp of the Dutch company, the Netherlandsche Zuidafrikaansche Spoorweg Maatschappy, during the building of the Eastern Line in 1890. The town was named after the Nkhomatic River, meaning 'Cows River'. Malaria was rampant and caused the death of many.
During the Ango-Boer War, Komatipoort was the base for the celebrated Colonel Ludwig Steinacker and his forty thieves.
Today the town is much more sedate, with streets shaded by flowering trees and formidable summer temperatures often reaching 40 degrees C.
Komatipoort is 11 km from the Crocodile Bridge entrance to the Kruger National Park.
Created: ; Last updated: