Arts On Main in City and Suburban, Johannesburg, Gauteng
Arts on Main provides a stimulating space for artists from many disciplines, including film, literature and contemporary art, to create and sell their work.
Whether you're looking for the latest contemporary exhibitions or photographic instalments, Arts on Main is the place to find it!
Breathing new life into the City Centre
Built in 1911, originally a bonded liquor store, later used by a construction company, Arts on Main is now five connected warehouses spanning 4 500m² and paying homage to a multi-discipline arts centre. It combines studio, commercial, residential and retail spaces.
The basic structures of the warehouses were preserved and almost all the original industrial features, such as the double volume ceilings, concrete floors and over-sized windows, were retained.
Arts On Main now houses a collection of some of the best South African contemporary art galleries and studios which include:
- David Krut Studio
- Goodman Gallery
- Kim Lieberman Studio
- Seippel Gallery.
- William Kentridge Studio
A number of interesting organisations also reside there offering visitors a range of events, arts, crafts and merchandise:
- Bailey's African History Archives : which holds more than 40 years' of South African photographic history
- The Nirox Foundation : which promotes African Arts & Crafts
- The Jozi Art Lab : which supports innovation and collaboration between artists across all disciplines.
- David Krut Publishing : was established in 1997 when Krut produced the first major publication on William Kentridge in CD-ROM format. Since then he has published many art books, including a series of 15 TAXI Art Books, the first-ever series of monographs on contemporary South African artists.
- The Goethe Institute : providing a platform for artists to realise multidisciplinary art projects
- Artright : which offers South African artists business and legal education.
- A collection of stores : South African fashion, decor, books and art supplies.
- A number of event areas for : book readings, dance, exhibitions, film screenings, installations, lectures, music, performances and poetry.
Arts On Main is a unique surrounding for the city’s imaginative populace to grow and share ideas and engage in multiple novel experiences at one venue.
- Tuesday to Sunday, 09h00 - 17h00
- Thursday, open till 18h00
Created: ; Last updated: