The Old Harbour Museum is situated in the tourist hub of Hermanus. It was declared a National Monument in 1970 and proclaimed a Museum in 1972 with the first Curator, Mr Guy Clarke, being appointed in 1973.
The Museum is made up of two sections, the Indoor Museum and an open air Museum which is open 24 hours a day. The indoor section displays exhibitions on natural history, items used in the fishing industry in the early part of the century, intertidal seawater displays, as well as angling and fishing paraphernalia. The open air section includes old fishing boats which were collected and repainted to be displayed outside as well as the old sea wall and fishing stands.
People have been drawn to Hermanus since as far back as 1855 due to the variety and abundance of fish. The Old Fisherman’s Cottage displays the “Selkirk” collection, an exhibit dedicated to Bill Selkirk who was a world famous Angler and Shark Catcher. Bill Selkirk was in fact nicknamed “shark enemy” of the world and the memorabilia includes the jaws of the record breaking Shark he caught.
This small cove was a refuge for any and all passing boats and the birth place of Hermanus. Today this area is a tourist hub and a must visit!
Prices are subject to change, please confirm directly with the Museum
Created: ; Last updated: