A small fort on a ridge of hills overlooking Greylingstad was built during the Anglo-Boer War by the Scottish Rifles and Greylingstad was established by the Dutch Reformed Church in 1909.
The initials of the regiment (S.R.) was laid out on the hill overlooking the town and it was always clearly visible from the main street of Greylingstad which was named after P. J. Greyling, one of the pioneers of the district.
A major change came about in 1962 when ESCOM (now called ESKOM) erected a 88kV substation and the town, which had about 300 residents at the time, was connected to the main electricity grid. Mrs Susan Botha, chairperson of the local council, was the key driver to get electricity supplied to the town and negotiated the supply with ESCOM.
Today Greylingstad is almost a ghost town, with many vacant buildings and houses, in a varying state of disrepair. The farming community, maize and dairy, however is still big and growing and constantly doing business.
The department of Arts and Culture published the name change of Greylingstad to Nthorwane in their government notice No. 238 of Gazette No. 36299 on the 28th of March 2013.
Created: ; Last updated: