- Western Cape
The 'Apostle of the Hottentots' George Schmidt, founded South Africa,s first mission station at what was to become Genadendal in 1737.
After six years he returned to Europe and the station fell into disuse until 1793, when it was reastablished by the Moravian Missionary Society.
Then known as Baviaanskloof ('ravine of the baboons'), the village took its present name of Genadendal ('valley of grace') in 1806.
Streets of neat black-thatched white-walled cottages, the church and manse, watermill and groves of oak trees have survived from the beginning of the last century.
An old bell, formerly used to summon people to church, children to school and to signal the beginning and end of shifts for workers in the fields, has been proclaimed a historical monument.
Created: ; Last updated: