Frankfort is situated south east of the Vaal Dam and Vereeniging, only 30 km from the N3 between Johannesburg and Durban. The town lies in the centre of the Free State Maize farming area.

This particularly picturesque farming town on the banks of the Wilge River with its Weeping Willows is somewhat of an oasis in the usually hot interior of the Free State and the Frankfort River Resort is worth a mention for those who love water sports – it offers an abundance of welcome shade anything from fishing to little boat trip!

Frankfort is only an hour from Warden and is often used as an alternative stop for travellers, between Durban and Johannesburg, who prefer a more “out of the way” rest stop.

As with most farming towns, Frankforts wide streets are lined with restored cottages and sandstone buildings and the beautiful stone Dutch Reformed Church is not the only historical building relevant in the town. The Edwardian Magistrate's office, the sandstone Police Station and the Post Office have all been declared national monuments, side-by-side.

Frankfort can offer overnight visitors a choice of a few guesthouses, self-catering units and Bed & Breakfasts as well as the resort and camping and caravan site.

Things to do and see

  • Frankfort Dutch Reformed Church
  • Magistrate’s Office
  • Fishing & Camping
  • Hiking & Mountain Biking
  • Stone Age Ruins
  • Namahadi's Art and Crafts Centre
  • Vredefort Dome
  • Vaal Dam

Climate

Frankfort receives approximately 534 mm of rain annually with the majority of its’ rainfall occurring during the summer months.

Summer months, November to March will have average temperatures of between 14˚C and 26˚C.

Winter months, May to August will have average temperatures of between -1˚C and 18˚C.

Transport

There are daily flights into O R Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg, 164 km away via the N3. Car hire facilities are available at the Airport.

History

The town of Frankfort was founded on the banks of the Wilge river on the farm Roodepoort in 1869. It was named after Frankfurt in Germany by Albert van Gordon, a member of the first council - but how the 'o' crept in is unknown.

The main street, 'Brand Street', now called JJ Hadebe Street, was named after the 4th president of the Orange Free State, Sir Johannes Brand. During 1883, he visited the town and laid the cornerstone of the Dutch Reformed Church.

The town received municipality status in 1896 and Frankfort is now the capital town to Villiers, Cornelia and Tweeling.

Created: ; Last updated: