Ficksburg was founded in 1867 and is beautifully situated on the west bank of the Caledon River, the border between Lesotho and the Free State province.
The Basuto War had just ended and the Orange Free State Government decided to establish three towns in what was called the Conquered Territory. The purpose of the towns was to hold the area taken from the Sotho and provide strong-points to prevent the rustling and raids which had preceded the war.
The town of Ficksburg was named after Commandant-General Johan Izak Fick.
Created: ; Last updated: