This pleasant rural centre was named after Sir George Cathcart, governor of the Cape from 1852 to 1854.
It was originallly a military strong-hold.
It is a notable place for gliding - the hill slopes provide excellent launching sites and the thermal air currents permit extensive soaring.
Several dams in the area are stocked with bass.
Created: ; Last updated: