Vergelegen Nature Reserve, uKhahlamba Drakensberg Park, KwaZulu-Natal
Cave accommodation for the seasoned hiker!
Vergelegan Nature Reserve is a small reserve found in the south of the uKhahlamba Drakensberg, 19 km from Underberg. It is a small area consisting of 1159 hectares and is one of the 12 protected areas that make up the uKhahlamba Drakensberg Park, one of the UNESCO 's world heritage sites. Many day visitors go to enjoy the scenic walks and pleasant picnic spots.
From Vergelegan there is access to the The Thaba Ntlenyana (meaning the beautiful little mountain), the highest peak south of the Kilimanjaro Mountains at 3 482 high. It is situated on the Lesotho side of the Maloti Drakensberg World Heritage Site, the South African side being the uKhahlamba Drakensberg Park. The area plays a vital part in the water catchment area for the surrounding communities.
The reserve is fairly well populated with animals due to its seclusion and a visitor is bound to see the following:
- Cape Clawless Otter
- Grey Rhebuck
- Serval Cat
Vergelegan only has caves for overnight hikers and although there are many of them booking is essential as they are very popular with the well-seasoned hikers. Basic foods are available at Himeville in Underberg.
- Hiking - is rugged and for the seasoned hiker
- Trout fishing in Mkhomazi River and Mhlahlangubo River
- Dish and waste water to be poured away from water and vegetation
- Keep to allocated number of hikers
- Keep to demarcated paths
- Maps are essential and are available at the office
- No fires but gas camp stoves may be used
- No vehicles permitted to leave main access road
- Rubbish it be taken away out of the reserve
- Signing of the Mountain Rescue register is compulsory
- Use spade to dig holes for toilet facilities away from water ways
Cave Accommodation:Conservation Manager, Vergelegen
P O Box 53
Tel: +27 33 702 0712
Reservations:Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife Reservation
P O Box 13069
Tel: +27 33 845 1000
Fax: +27 33 845 1001