Orlando Towers in Orlando Ekhaya, Soweto, Gauteng
The Orlando Power Station is a decommissioned coal fired power station that was commissioned at the end of the Second World War and served Johannesburg for over 50 years.
The two cooling towers are a prominent landmark in Soweto. They were built in 1951 to supplement the spray pond cooling system as this source of cooling was running at its capacity.
Both towers are painted, one functioning as an advertising billboard and the other containing the largest mural painting in South Africa.
The towers are presently being used for the following activities and there is a viewing platform for spectators :
- Base Jumping
- Rap Jumping
- Power Swinging
- SCAD Freefalling
- Rock Climbing
- Team Building
Uit ons gallery
Geskep: ; Laas opgedateer: