Port Shepstone Lighthouse in Port Shepstone, KwaZulu-Natal
The Port Shepstone Lighthouse, painted in black and white checks, has become a familiar landmark to people who visit or pass through the coastal town of Port Shepstone. The 8m high circular cast iron tower was moved from Scottburgh in 1904 and erected at the Umzikulu River mouth where it was commissioned on 10 March 1905.
|Candlepower||1 130 000 C.D.|
|Character of Light||One flash every 6 seconds|
|Installation Date||01 March 1849 / 1895/1905|
|Range||26 sea miles|
|Structure||8 metre circular cast iron tower painted white with black & white checks|
|Type of Light||Revolving electric|
|Other features||Equipped with radio beacon. Fully automatic, mains supply with 2 standby diesel/alternator sets. |
Base station to monitor Ifafa Beach Lighthouse via telemetry
The lighthouse is equipped with a radio beacon and is fully automatic. It is run off the mains supply and has two standby diesel/alternator sets. Its revolving electric light with a power of 1 130 000 C.D. flashes every six seconds, and is visible from 26 nautical miles.
The coastline running south from this beacon is notorious for its wrecks. In fact this stretch of coastline between Port Shepstone and Cape Hermes at Port St Johns, is particularly dangerous.
Probably the most famous of the wrecks are the Sao Joao and the Grosvenor. The Sao Joao, a richly laden Portuguese Galleon was wrecked with its alleged riches have never been located.
The Grosvenor sank beneath the waves off the Pondoland shore with her hoard which legend insists included jewels, gold and silver bars. Treasure hunters believe the fabulous Peacock Throne of the Moguls to be worth well over 6 Million Pounds. Pounding surf, razor sharp rocks, strong currents and inaccessibility to this wreck has put paid to recovering any treasures that might lie beneath the murky waters.
Geskep: ; Laas opgedateer: