Parys Museum in Parys, Vrystaat
The town of Parys lies on the banks of the Vaal River and is known for its art and history and the Parys Museum is well worth a visit if you appreciate historic architecture.
The Museum is housed in the old magistrates building which was built in 1904 and stands across from the Town Hall. The architectural style is a perfect example of the short ‘Orange River Colony’ period. Previous tenants have included the Council, Barclays Bank, the Oranje Vroue Vereniging and the Municipal Clinic and Health Department.
The heritage of this pretty little town is exhibited in old photographs, documents and memorabilia that has been collected and preserved the residents of Parys. The building was restored between 1981 and 1982 and the Museum opened its doors in March 1983. In May 1986 the building was declared a National Monument.
In front of the museum is a war memorial which was erected shortly after the First World War by the ex-servicemen of Parys, known as the Memorable Order of Tin Hats, or M.O.T.HS. It is made of solid stone blocks and bears the names of the soldiers who fought and died during the First and Second World Wars. The monument was unveiled by General Jan Smuts.
Things to see and do
- Historical Photographs & Documents
- Town Memorabilia
- History of Parys Exhibit
- War Memorial
- Town Hall
A nominal entrance fee is charged, please confirm directly with the Museum
It is advised to call ahead to confirm opening times as viewing can at times be by appointment
Geskep: ; Laas opgedateer: