- Kempton Park
Kempton Park was established in 1903 when Karl Wolff sub-divided a portion of his Zuurfontein farm into residential stands and named the new village Kempten after the Bavarian town of his birth.
The name of the town was later anglicised to Kempton Park. Kempton Park is located north-east of Johannesburg and south of Pretoria lying in the middle of the two cities. In 1952 Jan Smuts Airport was built on land next to the town, which later became the main gateway into South Africa for air traffic and is now the busiest airport on the African continent.
The airport's name was changed to Johannesburg International Airport in the late 1990s and more recently to OR Tambo International Airport (August 2006). Kempton Park was declared a city in 1992 and became part of the Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality following the re-organisation of local government in South Africa in December 2000 and consequently its municipal flag is no longer in use.
On 31 March 1970 the Town Council of Kempton Park resolved to appoint Mr JH Coetsee of the Bureau of Heraldry in Pretoria to design a municipal flag. After various preliminary designs had been considered, the Council finally resolved on 29 June 1970 to approve an amended design. The flag consists of a royal blue background divided by a yellow-gold horizontal stripe two-thirds from the top of the flag. In the canton originally appeared a white globe with an aeroplane pointing towards the flagpole above the shield from the municipal arms. This design was later changed with the globe and shield having been substituted by the complete arms and crest as approved by the Bureau of Heraldry on 29 January 1969. The gold of the arms represents the gold reef of the Witwatersrand of which Kempton Park forms a part. The world globe at the head of the crest on a blue background, over which is depicted an aircraft in gold, symbolises the role of the town as a terminus of world airlines as South Africa's primary international airport was located within the municipal boundary of Kempton Park. The railway engine in gold on a sky blue background represents the rail activities in the area. The green band dividing the arms symbolises fertility and hope. Industrial development is symbolised by a golden cog-wheel on a dark blue background. The golden plough on a sky blue background and drills in light brown symbolise agricultural activities. The whole shield is carried on a scroll in gold and gold wings indicating progress, whilst the head of the shield terminals is a gold link. The motto, IN HOC SIGNO PROGREDIMUR means "Under this sign we shall prosper". scan by Bruce Berry, 08 Sept 2006 The blazon of the Arms granted to Kempton Park by the Administrator of the Transvaal on 23 March 1966 and later registered with the South African Bureau of Heraldry on 29 January 1969 is as follows: ARMS: Per fess Or and Azure, in chief a smoking locomotive with fender Sable, in base a cogwheel and plough, Or CREST: On a terrestrial globe, Azure and lined Or, an aeroplane in bend sinister Argent WREATH: Or and Azure MOTTO: IN HOC SIGNO PROGREDIMUR (Under this sign we shall Prosper). Bruce Berry, 08 Sept 2006
Binne Kempton Park
Geskep: ; Laas opgedateer: